Custard Baked French Toast
This is not your ordinary french toast! The first time I tried this I instantly wanted the recipe. In fact, every time we have made it someone has asked for the recipe because its just that good!
What better time for French Toast than the holidays...or literally any other time ever. It's delicious! My mom has been making this french toast for years and she always brings it out for special occasions. It is light, fluffy, warm egg custard infused with cinnamon and nutmeg. No syrup necessary!
Note: This needs to sit overnight before it's baked to let all the yummy flavors soak into the bread!
French Toast Ingredients:
- 1 - 1 1/2 Loaf French Bread (Baguette)
- 8 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Half & Half (Fat Free is fine)
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 1 Tsp Real Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- Dash Salt
- Praline Topping
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans (You can substitute walnuts but pecans make it special!)
- 2 Tbl Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- Slice bread into 1 inch thick slices. Arrange slices in generously buttered 9 x 12 baking dish, overlapping slices. You can use any baking dish that has a 2 inch height.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, half & half, milk, vanilla, spices, and salt. Whisk together until blended.
- Pour mixture over the bread, making sure all the slices are covered with the egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture between slices.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all of the Praline topping ingredients and blend well, then spread evenly over bread and bake 40 min.